Produx Labs is a product management consulting, coaching, and training company that helps organizations transform their Product Management departments while teaching all levels of Product Managers and Product Owners inside companies. Melissa has proven record in helping large and small clients - from Spotify, Rovio, Levo League, Lloyds Bank of England, as well as some other large international financial services and software companies.
In 2016 she started Product Institute, a 10 week online school in Product Management open to both the public and private clients. They do not cater to career transitioners, but instead focus on people who are existing Product Managers or have worked closely with product teams before (UX designers, developers, etc). They match all their students into small groups with a coach who helps guide them through the class. They have had close to 100 people go through the course so far.
Melissa began teaching these concepts through Skillshare after successfully implementing them into her own role as a Product Manager. Later, she expanded on these principles to write and teach the Product Management curriculum for General Assembly worldwide. Conferences such as QCon, Mind the Product, Lean UX NYC, Lean Agile Scotland, and Agile 2015 have invited her to speak on these subjects.
Before becoming a consultant, Melissa worked as a Product Manager and UX Designer at Barclays Capital, OpenSky, Capital IQ, and Conductor. There was also a brief year in her career where she started a company in Italy and learned about the wonderful world of bureaucracy (and risotto).
- What product strategy is (1:27)
- The common mistakes most companies make with their product strategies (3:11)
- How the companies should incorporate the product strategies into agile product development (4:30)
- How the companies should balance the Portfolio of strategies (6:44)
- The cost of Kodak ignoring innovation and how companies should incorporate product strategy into product team (9:54)
- How Melissa would directly coach a Product Owner (18:53)
- How a product management newbie with little authority can communicate the product strategy up to the top management and drive the market-driven mindset innovation within the company (27:00)
- The real world example of educating both the internal and external stakeholders about value proposition (31:00)
- The tricky dilemma a Product Manager in establishing informal authority and how to tackle it (36:03)
- What Product Kata is (39:31)
- What the common build traps are and how to avoid them (44:22)
The recommended resources for further study in Agile Product Development and Product Management (46:22)
- The Art of Action: How Leaders Close the Gaps between Plans, Actions and Results
- Build Better Products: A Modern Approach to Building Successful User-Centered Products
- Lean UX: Designing Great Products with Agile Teams
Connect with Melissa
- Produx Labs
- Product Institute